711 scene

David had twenty minutes until his train came, so he ducked into a 7-11 to grab a coffee for his trip. As he approached the coffee counter he noticed a frail Asian girl probably on the short side of eighteen and visibly pregnant. She was eyeing the Doritos hungrily. He passed her and when he caught her eye she immediately looked down. She seemed frightened and completely out of place.
David noticed he wasn’t doing too well himself. He got the coffee in the cup with little trouble. However, when he poured the cream he couldn’t help but notice the tremor in his hand. Courage, he thought.
He capped the coffee and went to pay. His path to the cashier brought him again to the pregnant girl, who was still staring at the Doritos. David now saw she was crying.
“Excuse me,” he said, “are you okay?”
The girls eyes flashed in terror. She shook her head. “I don’t speak. Only a little.”
David stepped back from her so it didn’t seem like he was invading her space.
“It’s okay,” he said. “Do you need help?”
“No,” she said, but the tears ran faster now. “I don’t need.” She looked at David.
He smiled and raised his hands in front of him. “Are you sure?” he said. “I don’t want to bother you.”
She stared at him and then wiped her tears away. She reached into her pocket and pulled out several foreign coins. She held them in her open hand and pointed to the Doritos. “How much?”

One Response