Setting

Lavender Cottage was new, different, but not terrible. I’d never thought that I’d end up here, surrounded by rows of Lavender flowers, the reason for its name. A million stars scattered above the night sky as I brought myself toward the door. The moon lit up the noticeable features of my new home. There were five windows in the front, three on top and two on the bottom. In the middle of the two was a door, a two panel wooden door coated in the color white to add to the calmness of the house. It made me feel at peace, like nothing could ever harm me here, like I was invincible or the god of nature. 

As I stepped inside to take in what would be the beginning of my life, I gave myself a moment to really appreciate what surrounded me. It was something almost out of a story book. The steeply pitched roof was held up by large brown pieces of wood in a triangular shape to give it the feel of an old cabin. The brick walls coated in white paint where parallel to each other inside of the living. A fireplace was placed in the middle wall making it the first thing you noticed the minute you stepped into the room. There was a nook in the wall for books, something that reminded me of mystery novel where there hidden rooms behind bookcases. I was almost tempted to push it despite knowing it wouldn’t move. 

There was a sofa and two lounge chairs that were placed in the shape of the letter C, surrounding the wooden coffee table that held flowers other than lavender. Sheer curtains were lined across the windows, allowing the moonlight to shine through and create idyllic scene. There were flowers lots of them, surrounding the area, and for the first time in my life I felt like I could breathe. I looked at the color of the walls, so white and plain reminding of a hospital or classroom, and yet it somehow had the power to put me at ease. 

I noticed how open the space was, how you could see the upstairs area without even walking up the stairs. The high ceiling allowed the space to feel more open and peaceful. As I made my way up the stairs, I took note of the view from the second floor onto the living room. It made me wonder how fun it would be to move the sofas and place beanbags on the ground and just jump. Just to feel like a kid again. 

As I walked through the hallway, I saw that there were three bedrooms and one bathroom. Each room where about the same in size and design. There was a bed in each with white metal bed frames and lace canopy’s along the top to provide a sort of elegance to the room. The window in the bedroom, like the windows in the living area, held sheer curtains to allow the light to flow through. The place might not have been much but it was home, and that was enough. 

One Response